Welcome to my Blog. I'm a practising member of SGI-UK a lay buddhist organisation practising the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin. It is often described as a practise of Active Humanism which I think reflects it perfectly. The basic practise is the chanting of 'Nam Myoho Renge Kyo' on a daily basis and putting the practise into use in our daily lives thereby making this a practical rather than esoteric form of Buddhism. For more information, please follow the Buddhist links on the right of this page


“Prayer is the courage to persevere. It is the struggle to overcome our own weakness and lack of confidence in ourselves. It is the act of impressing in the very depths of our being the conviction that we can change the situation without fail. Prayer is the way to destroy all fear. It is the way to banish sorrow, the way to light a torch of hope. It is the revolution that rewrites the scenario of our destiny... Believe in yourself! Don't sell yourself short! Devaluing yourself is contrary to Buddhism, because it denigrates the Buddha state of being within you.”.
Daisaku Ikeda.

Tozo Weekend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daimoku Chanted So Far at 20:00 Saturday >> 3 Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while and the weather forecast for the weekend has encouraged me to do it.

I've basically decided to chant more or less half hour on and half hour off today or probably the weekend ... You can see the total so far at the bottom of the post.

Why ? Well ... I did once do a four hour chant and really felt it moved my life forward and I wanted to do that again. Last night I watched a thing on alternative rock and it talked a lot about Kurt Cobain and how he had so much potential but his inner demons ended up with him committing suicide. All this took me back to when I started .. long story but bottom line is after having been given a magazine ages ago i read about Cobain being a Buddhist (after he killed himself) and dug the magazine out and decided to give the practise a go and here I still am chanting away. Anyway .. watching it made me realise that though I have been chanting, I've not REALLY used the practise to move my life on that much .. a bit yes but not really as much as I should have. Also reading the Gosho study today about 'mastering our minds rather than our minds mastering us', I realise that is exactly my problem .. even on work days, I start off with the best of intentions and then get lazy and distracted and lose my focus.

So .. that's the reason and I'd better do other things now as I've got 15 mins before the next half hour starts. Oh .. and I'm thinking about doing a sponsored chant for a charity but more of that when I've decided more details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daimoku Chanted So Far at 20:00 Saturday >> 3 Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: