Welcome to my Blog. I'm a practising member of SGI-UK a lay buddhist organisation practising the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin. It is often described as a practise of Active Humanism which I think reflects it perfectly. The basic practise is the chanting of 'Nam Myoho Renge Kyo' on a daily basis and putting the practise into use in our daily lives thereby making this a practical rather than esoteric form of Buddhism. For more information, please follow the Buddhist links on the right of this page


“Prayer is the courage to persevere. It is the struggle to overcome our own weakness and lack of confidence in ourselves. It is the act of impressing in the very depths of our being the conviction that we can change the situation without fail. Prayer is the way to destroy all fear. It is the way to banish sorrow, the way to light a torch of hope. It is the revolution that rewrites the scenario of our destiny... Believe in yourself! Don't sell yourself short! Devaluing yourself is contrary to Buddhism, because it denigrates the Buddha state of being within you.”.
Daisaku Ikeda.

D Day

On Thursday I did something that I'm generally not very good at .. I made a decision.

I attended a Buddhist Discussion meeting in the evening and someone gave an experience about how they'd completely changed their job from one that they were good at but didn't feel was creating any value to turning it round to create a job at a social enterprise kind of job despite initially having the wrong qualifications.

This inspired me as, for some time now, I've been wondering whether being self employed suits me and with another month with money coming in late leaving me struggling to pay bills etc made me take the decision to get back out in the real working world. Basically I am going to look for some part time work .. most likely in the morning and continue the web work in the afternoons/early evenings. I don't quite know how this will pan out yet but should be perfectly viable.

Even though the part time employment is likely to be low waged, it should be sufficient to make sure that I can save a bit as well as paying my bills and that would fulfill one of my two determinations by the end of the year to be financially secure.

The day after I made this decision I mentioned it to someone who told me that there were jobs at their place .. one of which seems at first glance to be almost ideal. I don't have any real details yet so it's extremely early days but it's encouraging .. All I have to do now is to re-create my own CV .. something I haven't had for 10 years !!!

I'll keep it posted here with my progress and for now .. here's a quote I find really inspiring.


"Fearing hardships and bemoaning and resenting our environment is to live with the belief that the Law is outside our own life. So is losing confidence in our ability to overcome our circumstances and turning to others in the hope that they will save us, or blaming others for our problems, or giving in to hoplessness and resignation.
When difficulties beset us, no matter how trying they may be, we must clearly see them for the obstacles or devilish functions they are and battle against them without retreating. This is the way of life of those who chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and dedicate their lives to the Mystic Law. The Daishonin says: "Nichiren's disciples cannot accomplish anything if they are cowardly" ( WND 1 - pg 481). In accord with these words, let us cast aside cowardice and make courage our foremost attribute".


Chanting Determination Update

Time Chanted to Date (day 20 of 184) >>>

Target to be chanted by end of day - 25.25 hours
Actual amount chanted so far - 23.75 hours

2 comments:

Sibri said...

Wow

Well done Charlie... hope it works out! Let me know if they are offering Sunday work!

Anonymous said...

Yes, good luck with whatever you choose to do Charls.