Welcome to my Blog. I'm a practising member of SGI-UK a lay buddhist organisation practising the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin. It is often described as a practise of Active Humanism which I think reflects it perfectly. The basic practise is the chanting of 'Nam Myoho Renge Kyo' on a daily basis and putting the practise into use in our daily lives thereby making this a practical rather than esoteric form of Buddhism. For more information, please follow the Buddhist links on the right of this page


“Prayer is the courage to persevere. It is the struggle to overcome our own weakness and lack of confidence in ourselves. It is the act of impressing in the very depths of our being the conviction that we can change the situation without fail. Prayer is the way to destroy all fear. It is the way to banish sorrow, the way to light a torch of hope. It is the revolution that rewrites the scenario of our destiny... Believe in yourself! Don't sell yourself short! Devaluing yourself is contrary to Buddhism, because it denigrates the Buddha state of being within you.”.
Daisaku Ikeda.

Sing Paul Sing !!!

I've taken a couple of days to post this blog after the Midget Submarines' re-union gig, partly because I was suffering from severe over indulgence and partly because I was suffering from embarassment ! Was it that bad ? Well in some ways yes it was but in others no. It's got to be said that having a rehearsal was a pretty pointless exercise really .. especially when a key band member starts drinking scrumpy at 3pm on the afternoon of the gig (stand up mr Woods .. if you can :-) ... and it all went downhill from there !


In truth, and maybe it's the Whisky deluding me, but I didn't think it sounded awful mostly, but it always sounds different behind the drums anyway ... I can't really say that Paul played or sang badly becuase he basically stood and swayed for much of the gig ... but anyway .. I quite enjoyed it really .. or maybe this is the recent nostalgia kicking in ... always seems better after the event. For myself, I think I played ok on the whole .. I took a decision to keep it dead simple and not be a clever arse so just held the rythm (mostly!). We did come back on after the main set for a couple of unrequested encores (and this was about an hour after we had finished). I even sang on one of them but sadly that wasn't filmed so I'll never know just how bad I really was :-)

Anyway .. I believe videos are going up tonight so I'll post when available if I can bear to .. but in the meantime, here's a few pics from the gig ... we sound great in photos :-) .. also Maria's blog about the gig after them.
I think the gig was best summed up by Ken who said "Next time, let's not bother to rehearse and just stand on stage without instruments and let people laugh at us"


All photos by Penny Spanglyflora

















































2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were undoubtedly the rock in our roll.

Anonymous said...

You've christened me Penny! For purposes of accuracy, the pic with me in was taken by Skeletal Steltner. And you were the rock!