Welcome to my Blog. I'm a practising member of SGI-UK a lay buddhist organisation practising the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin. It is often described as a practise of Active Humanism which I think reflects it perfectly. The basic practise is the chanting of 'Nam Myoho Renge Kyo' on a daily basis and putting the practise into use in our daily lives thereby making this a practical rather than esoteric form of Buddhism. For more information, please follow the Buddhist links on the right of this page


“Prayer is the courage to persevere. It is the struggle to overcome our own weakness and lack of confidence in ourselves. It is the act of impressing in the very depths of our being the conviction that we can change the situation without fail. Prayer is the way to destroy all fear. It is the way to banish sorrow, the way to light a torch of hope. It is the revolution that rewrites the scenario of our destiny... Believe in yourself! Don't sell yourself short! Devaluing yourself is contrary to Buddhism, because it denigrates the Buddha state of being within you.”.
Daisaku Ikeda.

Taplow Course this weekend

Just back from our HQ Buddhist course at Taplow this last weekend and what a great course it was. I think the only negative was lack of sleep as I woke at 5.30am and 4.30am respectively which was annoying but didn't feel too bad .. had hoped to catch up this morning but woke at 8.30 so not the lie in I expected.

The weather forecast for Maidenhead was pretty crap so I wasn't expecting the great weather that we had which is always helpful.

Everything seemed to run pretty smoothly and some great lecture from Yas Hirayama, Suzanne Pritchard, Robert Harrap and Robert Samuels .. my favourite probably being Yas's who constantly inspires me with his lectures, but Suzanne's ran a close second which I was pleased about as I'd heard one of hers before and it didn't do much for me so I was pleased with this one.
Group meetings weren't great for my group but I did get a good one to one (and a quite attractive one at that ;-) .. and it was also someone who was actually using the practise in her life rather than just theorising about it.

Strangest day was the last day when the guy who helps out in the kitchen didn't turn up leaving the chef in the lurch so I helped out by chopping veg for an hour or so which I quite enjoyed, though it did mean missing morning gongyo. However, the benefit I git was that I got to do it with one or two others leading gongyo in front of the big gohonzon at Taplow which I really enjoyed.

All in all a really good and inspiring meeting and if I got one thing I had to pick from the course it's the determination to reveal the kind of life state of Nichiren Daishonin and Daisaku Ikeda in my own life .... and in my own way.

More soon but must do some work now ... Oh .. and I saw the papers today .. Neighbours going to channel 5 .. shame but at least I can still watch it !!!

1 comment:

Sibri said...

Neighbours on Channel 5??? That's still far too MAINSTREAM!!!!