Welcome to my Blog. I'm a practising member of SGI-UK a lay buddhist organisation practising the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin. It is often described as a practise of Active Humanism which I think reflects it perfectly. The basic practise is the chanting of 'Nam Myoho Renge Kyo' on a daily basis and putting the practise into use in our daily lives thereby making this a practical rather than esoteric form of Buddhism. For more information, please follow the Buddhist links on the right of this page


“Prayer is the courage to persevere. It is the struggle to overcome our own weakness and lack of confidence in ourselves. It is the act of impressing in the very depths of our being the conviction that we can change the situation without fail. Prayer is the way to destroy all fear. It is the way to banish sorrow, the way to light a torch of hope. It is the revolution that rewrites the scenario of our destiny... Believe in yourself! Don't sell yourself short! Devaluing yourself is contrary to Buddhism, because it denigrates the Buddha state of being within you.”.
Daisaku Ikeda.

The Purpose of Faith and Raw Fish !

Raw fish ? Ok .. well just an excuse to post about Yo Sushi really. I went there on Friday and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. Definitely not as good as the Higoi in Lenton which is excellent, but there again, Yo Sushi is basically a fast food place, though that would be my main quibble. You can take the plates of the conveyor belt but we decided that as we wanted a few hot ones we would order them and get them fresh. Have to say that the service was a bit on the slow side and it wasn't that busy !!

Funnily enough, the one thing we didn't have was sushi !!! We had the Miso soup which was excellent then a couple of hot dishes which were pretty good. I also tried the sea bass sashimi which was ok but I think sashimi should be finer and REALLY fresh. Don't get me wrong, it was reasonably fresh but was a bit chunky for me .. ok though. We them had some seafood and some tofu tempura ... cost just over a tenner each which wasn't bad, but you'd have to watch the cost oif you just grab the plates off the belt .. could soon add up !! All in all though, pretty good and will go again soon.


And the faith bit ? ... Well, we had Study on Friday which was pretty good, though the pints I had afterwards seemed to wipe my memory banks a bit so hoping to listen to a recording of it at some point, but I did read the hand out and was particularly struck by the last bit of it which I've copied below:


The purpose of faith is to freely realise our full potential and shine in our own unique way. That's why it's important to keep advancing and challenging ourselves, to have the spirit: "I will exert myself in my practise!" "I will deepen my faith!" "I will do my best as a member of the Soka Gakkai!" This is the certain path to attaining Buddhahood in this lifetime.




1 comment:

Sibri said...

I wanna go, I wanna go!